Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Dress

This should probably be titled "The Dress, Part I" - the search isn't over yet.

Last winter, I saw a nice-looking evening gown in a catalog. It was a vintage design, made of off-white silk and embroidered with beads and crystals. At the time, I thought it would make a lovely wedding dress - although I wasn't expecting to need one.

So when Aaron proposed and we started the planning, my first thought was "at least I know the dress I want." We called the retailer, found out they still had the dress available, and ordered one right away. I was feeling pretty good - more than a year to go and we have the date, we have the site, and I have The Dress.

But today I tried on the dress. And I'm pretty sure it's not The Dress. It's not off-white; it's yellow-brown. There's a bunch of weird gauzy stuff that doesn't show up in the catalog. This retailer illustrates its catalogs with watercolors rather than photographs, so there's a real danger that what you see is not what you get. That's definitely the case here. The embroidery is significantly less delicate, parts of it make the wearer look naked, and it's yellow-brown.

So now I'm back to square one. I'm really glad there's still a year to go.

No comments: